Rainforest Wildlife Sanctuary, Eagles & Totems
Ketchikan, AKBack to Excursion Results
- Wear comfortable walking shoes and warm layered clothing.
- This excursion operates in all weather conditions.
- Rain ponchos are provided.
- Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed.
This eco-exploration includes a Guided Nature Hike, Bald Eagles, Alaskan Reindeer, Native Totem Carver and Historic Sawmill, at an exclusive reserve by the forested mountains at rustic Herring Cove.
This eco-exploration includes a guided nature hike, bald eagles, Alaskan reindeer, a native totem carver and a historic sawmill at an exclusive reserve by the forested mountains of rustic Herring Cove.
On this beautiful excursion you will:
- Tour this pristine natural environment, home to eagles, black bear, seals, a variety of birds and other species attracted by the major salmon runs in the abundant marine estuary.
- See wildlife and photograph live eagles up close, interact with reindeer, and observe a master native totem pole carver at work. Follow as your naturalist guides you along an improved trail through the dense forest, among tall stands of hemlock, spruce and Alaska cedar.
- Make stops at strategically located viewing areas.
- Let your guide lead you to a protected open estuary, where you follow Eagle Creek along an elevated wooden boardwalk overlooking grassy wetlands.
- Learn that major runs of salmon return to spawn here.
- Watch and listen to the symphony of bird activity in this spectacular setting.
- Learn that during the spawning season bears and seals feed on salmon in Eagle Creek and Great the likelihood of viewing these fascinating animals is good; bald eagles and other birds wait for scraps in the estuary.
- Hike the half-mile trail and at the conclusion, feed Alaskan reindeer and see a Bald Eagle and a Great Horned Owl in a private setting as an Alaska Wildlife Foundation raptor specialist explains the heritage and habitat of America’s national symbol.
- Be guided through the historic Herring Bay Lumber Company Sawmill, established by legendary pioneer Ben Fleenor.
- Observe a master native totem pole carver at work.
- Enjoy complimentary snacks and beverages and take advantage of the shopping opportunities in the General Store.
Note: Wear comfortable walking shoes and warm layered clothing. This excursion operates in all weather conditions. Rain ponchos are provided. Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed.