Ruins of Pompeii
Naples (Capri/Pompeii), ItalyBack to Excursion Results
Pompeii is considered to be one of the world's finest examples of an ancient roman town, discover for yourself the history of this town that was buried by ash and pumice stone in 79 AD.
Pompeii is considered to be one of the world's finest examples of an ancient Roman town, discover for yourself the history of this town that was once buried by ash and pumice stone in 79 AD.
On this educational excursion you will:
- Enjoy a guided tour of the amazing city of Pompeii, possibly the most famous excavation in the world.
- Entering, by one of its Ancient Gates, you will soon be in the Agora, surrounded by temples, porticoes and law courts. Twenty thousand people lived in this provincial town, of which 2,000 perished in the horrifying eruption of Mt. Vesuvius in 79 A.D.
- Learn that twenty feet of ashes and pumice stone covered Pompeii, and much of this has been removed during the last 200 years to reveal all the details of everyday life: the wine yards are still set in the counter of the wine shop; the stepping stones are still there to help you across the street in the rainy season, and the cobbled streets themselves.
- See the mosaic floors and the brilliant frescoes, which so delighted the Pompeian’s, shine forth in all their undiminished glory. See the theatres, and the luxurious villas with their gardens, even plaster casts of the locals at the moment of asphyxiation, are there for our inspection.
- Then look up because looming over all is Vesuvius.
- At the end of the visit, a stop at a cameo factory will be made to see how this delicate work is done.
NOTE: This excursion involves approximately two hours of walking over uneven surfaces and cobblestone; comfortable walking shoes are recommended. Headphones will be provided for your time at Pompeii.