Murano, St. George's Island & Gondola Tour
Venice, ItalyBack to Excursion Results
Take advantage of this well rounded excursion to see the islands of Murano and St. George and take a ride in a gondola in the famous canals of Venice.
Take advantage of this well rounded excursion and see the islands of Murano and St. George's and take a ride in a gondola in the famous canals of Venice.
On this culturally combined excursion you will:
- Depart the pier by private non-air conditioned launch and sail along Giudecca Canal passing the Arsenal, the oldest shipyard of "Serenissima" Republic, and the ancient Church of San Pietro di Castello, the city’s cathedral until the beginning of the 19th century.
- Discover in the northern Venetian lagoon is the island of Murano. Although today glass making is no longer a secret skill, the Murano product of blown-glass mirrors, chandeliers, goblets and intricate works of art are renowned worldwide.
- Here, you will visit a major glass factory to see the masters of this delicate craft at work, with a tour of the display room.
- En route back to Venice, continue towards the island of St. Elena, viewing the island of Lido and the tinier islands of the Southern lagoon, arriving soon at San Giorgio island.
- View that dominating the island is the magnificent domed monastic Church of San Giorgio Maggiore which was entirely designed by Andrea Palladio in the 16th century and is a masterpiece of ecclesiastic architecture. See the most magnificent view of Venice and the lagoon.
- Back in Venice, it’s time to board the gondola. Riding six guests per gondola, you will slide through some of the smaller picturesque canals crossed by lovely stone bridges. The scenery speaks for itself on this non-narrated 30-minute gondola ride.
NOTE: the gondola ride lasts 30 minutes and is non-narrated. Max weight is 230 lbs. per pax. Launches are not wheelchair accessible and do not have facilities. May operate in reverse, but all sites described will be visited. Please have your shoulders and knees covered when entering churches. At St. George’s Church the guide will provide detailed narration outside, entry will be allowed on individual basis. Sitting together on the gondola is not always possible.