xxxAn Imperial Evening at the Catherine Palace
St. Petersburg, RussiaBack to Excursion Results
Experience the dizzying whirl of Imperial Court life during an evening visit to the Catherine Palace, while also enjoying a russian dinner and colorful dance performance
Relive the luxury and experience the dizzying whirl of court life in the 18th-century Imperial Russia during an evening visit to one of the most amazing royal palaces, the Catherine Palace, whilst also enjoying a typical Russian dinner with a colorful dance performance by a Russian troupe.
- Upon leaving the ship by motor coach you will travel for approximately one hour to the Catherine Palace. Royal Guardsmen will escort you through the main entrance on your visit to the White Vestibule, Grand Hall, the Amber Room, the Portrait Hall, the Crimson Pilaster Room and more.
- Enjoy a guided tour of the palace staterooms, accompanied by performing musicians in 18th century costumes. This beautiful Baroque Palace is over 1,000 feet long and features an ornate blue façade. Gold onion domes crown the palace’s north end, at the site of the chapel.
- A gallery of Greek and Roman heroic busts decorates a covered walkway designed for Catherine the Great. Surrounding the palace are 1,400 acres of manicured gardens and parkland.
- Next, "Great Catherine", Empress Catherine II, will greet you in the palace’s Great Hall, bedecked with chandeliers and mirrors, for a champagne reception.
- A string quartet performs selections of classical music as dancers in period costume demonstrate courtly dances while Imperial hussars herald the arrival of a noble couple with a fanfare of trumpets.
- Move onto the palace’s former stable that houses a collection of superb carriages which once belonged to the Imperial family and other Russian high nobles. A guided inspection of the 23 coaches will be done by well-known Russian and Western European masters of the 18th and 19th centuries that once carried Russia’s highest nobility.
- Finally, drive to a restaurant near Tsarskoye Selo which will be the setting for a traditional Russian dinner, complete with wine, vodka and pancakes with caviar, whilst a colorful Russian troupe heighten the magic of this special event by their wonderful performance.
Notes: Flash photography is not allowed in areas where paintings are displayed. Dress is smart, casual with low-heeled comfortable shoes that will not damage the Palace floors. There is a lot of walking and steps and no elevator is available at the Catherine Palace. This excursion is not suitable for wheelchairs or those with walking difficulties