Frequently Asked Questions
What is the required travel documentation for all ports?


Proper travel documentation is required at embarkation and throughout the cruise. Even though a guest has completed registration using FUNPASS, it is still the responsibility of the guest to bring all required travel documents. Guest should check with their travel agent and/or government authority to determine the travel documents necessary for each port of call. Any guest without proper documents will not be allowed to board the vessel and no refund of the cruise fare will be issued. Carnival assumes no responsibility for advising guests of proper travel documentation.


U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel).  Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, traveling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one.  Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

  • Valid U.S. Passport
  • Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Passport Card
  • Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)
  • Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card,  e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

A government-issued photo I.D. is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over.  For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit

To debark for more than 24 hours in Mexico, guests must have obtained a Mexican Tourist Card from either a travel agent or a Mexican consulate prior to their departure.

When traveling with a minor and both parents/legal guardians are not cruising, we strongly recommend bringing an original, signed letter from the absent parent/legal guardian authorizing the minor to travel with you. This will expedite processing by the Department of Homeland Security. Please note that a notarized letter to this effect is required if debarking with children in Mexico.

Sailings from Canada or to Canadian Ports of Call

U.S. Citizens require a valid passport or WHTI compliant document.

Europe, Hawaii and Transatlantic Cruises

U.S. citizens must have a valid passport.  

U.S. Alien Residents and Non-U.S. Citizens

U.S. Alien Residents require a valid Alien Resident Card and/or passport (depending on itinerary) to travel on all Carnival cruises.  Non-U.S. citizens require a valid machine readable passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable, to travel on all Carnival cruises.  Guests are advised to check with their travel agent or appropriate government authority to determine the necessary documents, including a Schengen/or Croatian Visa necessary for European cruises.

On occasion, non-U.S. citizens and U.S. Alien Residents may be asked to surrender their passport and/or Alien Resident Card at time of embarkation. These documents will be returned upon completion of the Immigration inspection at the time of debarkation. Non-U.S. citizens that are eligible to apply for admission under the Visa Waiver Pilot Program, must still have a valid unexpired passport. U.S. Department of State regulations require all guests traveling from visa-waiver countries be in possession of a machine readable passport that includes a biometric identifier - e.g., embedded digital photograph. Otherwise, guests will be required to obtain a U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa. Guests without proper identification may be refused boarding or entry into the United States.

Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa Requirements

During your Mediterranean or Transatlantic voyage, you will be visiting various countries such as Spain, France, Italy, Portugal and Croatia.  Specific countries will vary depending on the voyage you have chosen.  Some of these countries are members of the Schengen Agreement.  Countries participating in the Schengen Agreement are listed below.  Because the ship may be departing and re-entering countries which participate in the Schengen Agreement, certain nationalities will be required to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa (for at least two entries) prior to joining the ship.  A Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa may be required if your passport has been issued by a country other than the United States, Canada or European Community.

Visa requirements vary depending on the passport under which you are traveling and the countries being visited. Guests traveling under non-U.S., non-Canadian and non-European passports must check with the Consulate of every country visited during the cruise for specific Visa requirements. When contacting the Consulate for the country being visited, be sure to provide the complete itinerary of the cruise so the Consulate can provide the correct information as your Schengen Visa requirements. Guests may also contact a Visa service agency in their country for assistance.

If a Schengen Visa is required for your nationality and you are not in possession of this Visa when departing for the cruise, you may be denied boarding OR, in a Schengen Agreement port the local authorities may detain you on board the ship and assess a fee.


1. There are 15 countries that are part of the Schengen Agreement: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Finland, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden.

2. Currently, U.S., Canadian, and European Community passport holders do not require a Schengen Visa.

3. If a non-Schengen country is visited in between visits to Schengen countries, a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa will be required.

4. Guests must show proof of medical insurance coverage of at least U.S. $37,500 in order to obtain a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa. Additionally, this proof of medical insurance coverage is also required when entering a Schengen Visa country.

5. The following are a few types of nationalities requiring a Multiple-Entry Schengen Visa: citizens of Russia, Trinidad & Tobago, Colombia, China, Morocco, Hong Kong, Philippines, and Turkey.   Please contact the consulates for a complete list.


Passports are required for air travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central America, the Caribbean, the Bahamas and Bermuda. This will impact all guests traveling by air to embark or debark in Vancouver for our Alaska or Hawaii cruises; and our Canadian guests that travel by air to or from any of our U.S. embarkation ports. This will also enable guests to fly from the U.S. to meet their ship at the first port should they miss their scheduled embarkation and allow guests that must debark the ship before their cruise ends to fly back to the U.S. without significant delays and complications.

Guest names on travel documents (passport, Alien Resident Card, birth certificate, etc.) must be identical to those on the cruise and airline tickets. Otherwise, proof of name change (e.g., a marriage license) or a valid driver's license (or other government-issued photo I.D.) must be presented.


Carnival is required to provide the U.S. Department of Homeland Security with specific guest information and a final departure manifest 60 minutes prior to departure.  To comply, you must register in advance via FunPass.

Click here in order to complete Carnival's FunPass.  This will help expedite your check-in on your long-awaited cruise vacation.