I was supposed to step onto the Triumph next week, and now there is very little doubt it will be cancelled, but Carnival refuses to make the call and give me back my $1000 while there is still time to plan an emergency vacation. It's not easy to be approved for vacation time with my company, and everyone is just waiting for the word that will, undoubtedly, come at the last second because Carnival doesn't want to lose my business
As you mentioned, there is little doubt that Carnival will cancel your cruise. At the moment, I would bet they have some slightly more important issues to deal with. Meanwhile, be proactive and creative. If you feel sure you will be getting your $1k back, book another vacation somewhere. Don't wait until Carnival actually cancels the cruise, as that adds 3000 more people to the mix.
Not doing so is just setting yourself up for failure and blaming Carnival.