Departing the Hilo port in your air conditioned van or minibus you will pass through the historic Hilo Town on the way to Rainbow Falls or its alternate Boiling Pots. Proceed 28 miles up Volcano Highway, passing stands of Kahili Ginger to the World Heritage Hawaii Volcanoes National Park where you will take a brief rest stop at the Visitor Center before proceeding on your adventure. This park has seen dramatic change between May and October 2018 which means you will visit features as they become available. First, visit the Kilauea Iki overlook to see an overview of recent events. Then visit Puu Puahi overlook and travel to Devastation Trail which will lead you to Crater Rim Drive. Crater Rim Drive is closed to vehicles. The hike out to the Massive new crater formed within the old Kilauea Caldera is approx. a 3 mile round trip on reasonable terrain. After your hike you’ll proceed to Steam Vents overlook to see more of the new crater. Head back to Mauna Loa Macnut Farm for an Ice Cream or snack treat or gifts for family or friends. After you’ve enjoyed your ice cream you’ll return to your ship.
- Guests must be able to independently hike at least 3 miles at a reasonable pace at 4000ft altitude.
- Those with heart or respiratory issues should not participate.
- The minimum age to attend this tour is 10 years old; infants may not be carried.
- In the event of a volcanic activity that causes the park to close, an equally exciting and active adventure will be provided.
- The order in which features are visited may be reversed.