Reach for the stars at the summit of towering Mauna Kea Mountain. Revered by astronomers from around the globe, it plays host to the most expansive astronomical complex on Earth which take advantage of the highest number of clear nights on the planet. Your full-day adventure in your 4-wheel-drive vehicle begins with a visit to the Imiloa Astronomy Center for an exclusive planetarium show focusing on Hawaiian stargazing history and navigation. Continue your ascent to Visitor Information Center and enjoy a deli style lunch. Reach Mauna Kea’s summit for a peek inside the Keck Observatory, a cutting-edge astronomical installation. Learn about the other telescopes which are monitored by 11 countries year- round. Reflect on the powers of the universe on your return drive.
- The minimum age to attend this tour is 16 years old.
- Elevation is 13,796 feet.
- Guests with the respiratory/heart conditions, pregnant women or those in poor health should not access the summit, and should not be physically challenged or unable to walk short distances of ½ mile on uneven terrain.
- Scuba divers please note that the summit altitude is over 13,000 feet (4,000 meters).
- Hooded parkas are provided but guests should bring a sweater or jacket, wear long pants and covered walking shoes with socks.
- The order of this tour may vary.