The Best Price Guarantee
Find a better price for any excursion we offer and we will refund you 110% of the price difference!*
Your custom trip includes a motor coach tour up the scenic Klondike Highway, the full White Pass rail journey, and a hike along the upper reaches of the Skagway River to the majestic Laughton Valley. This is one adventure you won’t soon forget.
Your trip begins with a Klondike Highway tour to Fraser, B.C., where you will board a historic White Pass and Yukon Route Railway coach. Your railway adventure is broken into two parts, one before and one after the hike. The first segment crosses the broad, open Canadian highlands before crossing the White Pass and plunging gradually toward the sea alongside Dead Horse Gulch, through tunnels, over trestles, and accompanied by stunning views such as from Inspiration Point.
Disembark at Glacier Station, the site of a historic railway station that housed workers year round from 1898 until the 1970’s. Here is where your hike begins on a well maintained trail meandering through the surreal beauty of an old-growth rainforest valley that is home to moose, bear, mountain goats and other wild animals. The trail winds along the raging head waters of the Skagway River, meeting it in places where you will take memorable photos. Leaving the main valley and turning into the Laughton Valley, you will witness the glacial transformation of the landscape in action. You will take a break at the “lookout”, and bask in the splendor of the 360-degree views of two countries available there.
Leaving the lookout and proceeding toward the towering peaks, and glacial ice falls crawling down from them, the route will be more rugged but still quite manageable, and you will enjoy exceptional photo opportunities. Approaching the glacier, the trail dissipates and you will pause to bask in its glory and enjoy lunch before returning to Glacier Station for your transportation back to Skagway aboard “The Scenic Railway of the World.”
Guides carry rain gear, extra warm clothes, and other items such as sun block and bug repellent. A small lumbar pack with snacks and water is also provided.
- Guests should be in good physical condition, able to walk over uneven and sometimes challenging terrain including rocks and tree roots, and hike in all weather conditions. The hike typically covers 4 to 5 miles.
- PASSPORT REQUIRED
- Equipment provided: lumbar pack, trekking pole, rain jacket and pants, hat, gloves, sun block, and bug repellent.
- Suggested clothing: Guests are encouraged to dress in layers. Shoes or boots with ankle support are recommended but not required.
- Duration: 7.5 hours from meet time to return, 4+ hours on the trail.
- Food and Drink: Full lunch in the form of a sandwich buffet including meats, cheese, peanut butter and jelly, vegetable tray, and condiments. Water bottles, candy bars and nuts are provided for the trail, and hot drinks will also be offered during the hike. The post hike bush buffet consists of salmon pate’, crackers and juice.