There's nothing like this delicious treat from beautiful San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- ½ cup shredded coconut (for garnish)
- 1 pinch of salt
Now, the preparation:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add sugar to a medium saucepan and cook over low-medium heat, stirring continuously to keep it from burning and sticking to the pan. When it’s done (about 10 minutes), it will be melted and caramel-colored.
- Carefully pour melted sugar into flan pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs, coconut milk, sweetened condensed milk, and salt until well blended.
- Pour into flan pan, and then set flan pan into larger baking pan. Fill larger pan with 1 inch of hot tap water.
- Bake uncovered for 45-55 minutes or until knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While flan is baking, add shredded coconut to a dry skillet and cook on medium heat until the edges are toasted and starting to brown. Set aside as garnish.
- Carefully remove from the oven and let it cool.
- Chill for a few hours or overnight.
- When ready to serve, run a knife around the edge of the flan to loosen it from the sides.
- Fancy bonus! Garnish with toasted coconut and serve!