We know, we know. Groupers don’t have fingers. Yet, these are definitely authentic grouper fingers. We don’t know how it works, but… work with us, people. Follow the steps and you will have grouper fingers — 10 servings.
TOTAL TIME: 4 Hr 30 Min
The stuff for the fingers:
- 3 lbs grouper fillet
- 1 oz blackening spices
- some vegetable oil
The stuff for the batter:
- 4 oz cornstarch
- 6 oz flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 5 oz water
- 6½ oz beer
- 3 egg whites
Here come the fingers:
- Mix dry ingredients for the batter – cornstarch, flour and salt.
- Add in wet ingredients – water, beer and egg whites – and mix well.
- Place batter in refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Chill. (This part is important.)
- After four hours of chilling, fill your deep fryer (or frying pan) with enough vegetable oil to cover the fish. Preheat the oil.
- Cut the grouper fillet into equal strips, approximately 5 oz each.
- Marinate with blackening spice.
- Take batter out of fridge. Dip the fish into the batter so it’s evenly covered on both sides. Place it into your deep fryer or frying pan.
- Fry until golden brown.
- Fancy bonus! Serve with your favorite tartar sauce, and add a splash of hot sauce if you want.