Best Places to Visit in Alaska While Cruising
- Icy Strait Point
Although the snowy peaks and white glaciers are certainly amazing sights to behold, Alaska offers plenty of beautiful vistas, unique attractions, and exciting activities. If you have been to Alaska before or if this is the first time you plan to visit, a cruise to Alaska is definitely one of the best ways to enjoy a vacation like no other!
A cruise to this natural beauty offers you and your family the opportunity to explore and experience many of the best places to visit in Alaska. Whether you are looking for adventure, romance, or good, old-fashioned family fun, there are plenty of things to do in Alaska that will make your trip one of the most memorable vacations ever.
Consider the following list of the best places to visit during an Alaskan cruise, as well as the natural wonders you’ll have a chance to witness. You’ll quickly discover why Alaska is truly an experience you don’t want to miss!
Beyond the beautiful majesty of the ice-capped mountains lies one of the most beautiful cities in America– Juneau, Alaska’s capital city. From walking through the splendor of the city to witnessing some of Mother Nature’s finest moments, there is a great deal of exciting activities to partake in and plenty of memories to make!
Some of the once-in-a-lifetime Alaskan activities you can try in Juneau include:
- Getting close up views of wondrous fjords, cliffs, and glaciers.
- Experience true Alaskan adventure when you operate a dogsled.
- Go whale watching and view other Alaskan wildlife in their natural habitat.
This remarkable Alaska destination lies at the southernmost tip of the Inside Passage and transports you to some of the most heavenly natural vistas you’ll ever get the chance to see. Well known for its beautiful wilderness and rich Native Alaskan culture, Ketchikan must be on your list when you visit Alaska.
And there’s certainly no shortage of exciting adventure to be found, which include:
- Viewing wildlife and fishing on the Bering Sea.
- Sightseeing the amazing scenery on a floatplane.
- Exploring the Alaskan rainforest by buggy.
- Watching bears in their natural habitat.
Located at the northernmost point of the Inside Passage, Skagway is a small but beautiful city. The buildings and roads speak of history, and the natural setting that surrounds you as you visit this Alaskan destination offers plenty of sightseeing and exploration opportunities.
- Explore a remote glacier by helicopter.
- Go on a railroad adventure through the Yukon wilderness.
- Go rock climbing in the mountains.
- Take a walk through history on a walking tour of Skagway.
The oldest and largest city in the state, Sitka is where you’ll find plenty of things to do during your cruise to Alaska. With majestic snow-capped mountains to the east and the Pacific Ocean to the West, the city and the splendor of the landscape that surrounds it makes it another must-visit Alaskan destination!
When you stop as Sitka on your cruise to Alaska, you can:
- Explore the surrounding wilderness and view a variety of wildlife.
- Go on a rafting adventure along volcanic cliffs.
- Go on a historical tour of the city.
Icy Strait Point
Home to the community of Hoonah, Alaska’s largest Native Tlingit village, Icy Strait Point also features the beautiful, unspoiled wilderness of the Alaskan rainforests and tall mountains topped with glistening white snow. Visiting this Alaska destination provides the opportunity to fully immerse yourself in the natural wonder of Alaska, as well as learn about the interesting history and customs of the Huna Tlingit tribe. As beautiful as it is unique, you’ll quickly see why Icy Strait Point is one of the best places to visit in Alaska.
- View an abundance of wildlife, including whales, sea lions, seals, and bald eagles.
- Go on an ATV expedition through the amazing rugged wilderness.
- Paddle a kayak along the Icy Strait Point waterfront.
While it is actually a part of British Columbia rather than Alaska, you simply can’t complete a cruise to Alaska without visiting Victoria. The capital city of British Columbia is located on Vancouver Island and offers a multitude of interesting sights, museums, and parks to explore and enjoy, as well as a large amount of quaint eateries and delicious restaurants. In Victoria, you’ll get the chance to:
- Tour the city by double-decker bus.
- Visit historic landmarks and a beautiful castle.
- Stroll through historic downtown and beautiful gardens.
In addition to the above best places to visit in Alaska, you’ll also want to make sure you stop at some of the amazing natural wonders and Alaskan attractions. Some of these include:
- A spectacular journey through Tracy Arm Fjord, which is actually two long fjords that feature dazzling waterfalls, giant chunks of ice drifting lazily through the serene waters, and plenty of wildlife.
- A memorable cruise through Glacier Bay, one of Alaska’s largest national parks, featuring immense glaciers, and a large assortment of wildlife, including humpback whales!
As you can see, Alaska offers a large wealth of adventure, sightseeing opportunities, and the chance to make lasting memories. Whether you want to experience a romantic adventure with your significant other, or you are seeking to cruise to Alaska with your family to partake in a once-in-a-lifetime experience, Alaska offers everything you could ever want in a unique, exciting, and wonderful cruise vacation.
Note: Onboard activities, shore excursions, and dining options may vary by ship and destination.