The Best Price Guarantee
Find a better price for any excursion we offer and we will refund you 110% of the price difference!*
Discover the magic of this famous Mayan archeological site followed by a Belizean lunch in San Ignacio Town.
- Your journey begins with a relaxing scenic journey to the Mopan River, passing several villages and towns along the way, and then a 5-minute ferry ride across the river to access the remote ruins.
- Situated just two miles from the Guatemala border, this site was a major ceremonial center during the Classic Period composed of six major plazas and surrounded by more than 25 temples and palaces.
- Sitting atop a natural limestone ridge, the site provides panoramic views of the hilly Cayo District.
- The Introductory Site History and Display Center is found at the entrance to the center and is one of the major attractions.
- The largest temple, El Castillo, has been excavated and partially restored; it is famous for its frieze, a banded stucco decoration that at one time extended around the entire pyramid.
- Delve into the Mayan world as you visit the site’s three plazas and partially excavated ball court.
- After exploring this ancient Mayan site, you will return to the San Ignacio area for a local lunch before heading back with wonderful memories of Belize and its ancient Mayan history.
Note: Minimum age is 3 years. Travel time from the pier to Xunantunich is approximately two hours. Climbing the ruins is not allowed during or after rain due to safety reasons. Light cool clothing, comfortable walking shoes, a hat and sunscreen are recommended.