Depart Cobh and travel eastward to County Waterford to visit Lismore Gardens. The historic Lismore Gardens are set on 7 acres with spectacular views of Lismore Castle and the surrounding countryside. The Upper Garden is a complete example of a 17th century walled garden. It was first constructed here by Richard Boyle, the 1st Earl of Cork, in about 1605. The outer walls and terraces remain and the plantings have changed to match the tastes of those living within the castle. The Lower Garden was mostly made in the 19th century for the 6th Duke of Devonshire, Joseph Paxton’s patron. This garden is informal with shrubs, trees and lawns, and the stately Yew Avenue is much older, perhaps from the 17th century. In 1999, several pieces of contemporary sculpture were installed in the gardens, including one by Anthony Gormley, who is best known for his massive Angel of the North in England. After having seen the garden, there is time left to walk to the bridge to view Lismore Castle and take pictures (it is not possible to visit the castle). From Lismore Gardens, the excursion returns via Youghal town and onto the ship in Cobh.