The Best Price Guarantee
Find a better price for any excursion we offer and we will refund you 110% of the price difference!*
Experience one of the world's great railway journeys through the White Mountain National Forest aboard the Mount Washington Cog Railway. Begin with spectacular views of the White Mountains during a 2.5 hour scenic motor coach ride from Portland into New Hampshire. At the Marshfield Base Station, board the world's first mountain-climbing cog railway to the summit of Mt. Washington, New England's highest peak. Back in 1869, this new technology of toothed-gears, rack rails and tilted boilers was an engineering marvel.
Experience this marvel firsthand aboard a fully restored car, powered by an authentic coal-fired steam train. Take in the sights and sounds of unique steam locomotives in action on some of the steepest railway tracks in existence. On a perfectly clear day, the view from Mt. Washington spans four states, Quebec, and the Atlantic Ocean. As your train ride concludes, take a moment to browse the Base Station gift shop before making the 2.5 hour return drive to Portland.
- Tour sequence may vary.
- This excursion will operate rain or shine.
- Box lunch is included.
- It is recommended that guests dress warmly with layered clothing.
- It can be especially cold (20-25 degrees cooler) on top of Mt. Washington - elevation is 6,288 feet (1,917 meters).
- Guests must be able to walk on gravel/uneven ground and climb three steps to enter/exit the train.
- A diesel locomotive may be substituted.
- Infants (ages 1 - 3) are required to have a ticket to participate in this excursion.