Explore the highlights of the spectacular Mayan city of Merida.
On this excursion you will:
- Learn how the resurrected city named Merida was christened in 1542 and a unique culture has evolved from Mayan roots.
- See the culture reflected everywhere, from the character of its architecture to the cuisine and people.
- View Montejo’s boulevard, inspired by France’s Champs D’elyse.
- See the Cathedral, built in 1774 from stones that once belonged to the pyramid of Xbacluum- Chaan.
- Examine the Monument to the country, which took 11 years to complete, the House of Montejo built in 1549 and the 19th century Government palace to name a few.
- Shop at the Bazaar in the main plaza before heading back to Progreso.
Note: The bus ride to Merida is approximately 45 Minutes drive.