Somebody once said that no burger is an island — or something like that — but this burger tastes a lot like one. Grill up this savory, sweet taste of Jamaica for a little flavor vacation tonight… all from easy ingredients you can grab on your way home!
Total Time: 15 Min
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1½ cups diced pineapple
- ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- whole wheat buns
- sliced red onion
- coconut oil, as needed
TIME TO MAKE THOSE T-BURGERS:
- Combine the ground turkey and jerk seasoning, mixing just until combined. Be careful not to over-mix, or the meat can become tough.
- Divide the turkey into four portions and shape into patties. Season with salt and pepper.
- Are you cooking the burgers on a grill? Lay a sheet of aluminum foil greased with coconut oil over the grill grates (in case the burgers crumble a little). Place the burgers onto the foil and cook over high heat until golden brown on one side. Flip the burgers, cook until browned on the other side. Reduce the heat to medium and close the grill cover, cooking until the meat is fully cooked through and no longer pink.
- Are you cooking the burgers in a pan? Heat a thin layer of coconut oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add the burgers and cook until golden brown on one side. Flip the burgers, cook until browned on the other side. Reduce the heat to medium, cover the pan, and cook 5–6 more minutes, until the meat is fully cooked through and no longer pink.
- Fancy bonus! In a bowl, combine the pineapple, bell pepper, red onion, lime zest and juice, and cilantro. You’ve got salsa — throw it on top.